Italian Photos Newsletter
On-Site Italian Research
Jewish Italian Research
Misilmeri (Palermo Province) is 15 km. from Palermo, alt. 129 m., in the valley of the River Eleuterio, here known as Fiume Grande (Big River), on the southern slopes of Montagna Grande, area 69.2 sq. km., pop. over 21, 600, post-code 90036, tel. 091. Economy: agriculture, sheep and cattle farming, industry (foodstuffs, building, timber and metal processing).
This town started as the Arab hamlet of Manzil al Amir (hamlet of the Emir). In 1068 Roger de Hauteville defeated the Arabs here. It was a fief of the Chiaromontes, the Aiutamicristos, and of the Bosco family after 1539. The town expanded in the century and especially after 1970.
Of interest are the ruins of the Arab-Norman Castle, rebuilt in the 14th century.
Churches (Palermo Diocese) include the following:
Families researched in these records include the following:
Links to other sites about Misilmeri include: